Friday, October 1, 2010

YA-D2 begins

 Several weeks ago...

Grab-life-and-go-for-it me: WooHoo...Darren's hosting his YA dystopia challenge again!!! I am not going to pass up the chance to join this year!!! :D

Old-stick-in-the-mud me: Hey, wait a minute there! You're not supposed to be joining any challenges!!! I know damn well you won't be saying "no" to RIP as it is. Despite the fact that when we moved over here, we decided to give up reading challenges altogether.

Grab-life-and-go-for-it me: *sigh* You're right. Sorry I let myself be tempted. *pout*


Over the past month-ish, as we began slowly adding our books to Library Thing...

Grab-life-and-go-for-it me: Look at this--yet another book I'm tagging with "YA" and "dystopia"...you know, if I signed up for Darren's challenge, I wouldn't even have to leave this house to find the books I need.

Old-stick-in-the-mud me: If that's your only criteria, we'd be signed up for what? Oh, a few hundred challenges perhaps?

Grab-life-and-go-for-it me: I didn't say it was my only criteria, you old crab. *makes faces behind Old-stick-in-the-mud me* (Which obviously, is no easy feat.)


Earlier this week...

Grab-life-and-go-for-it me: Just a few days left before YAD2 starts. You know I've been completely unable to put it out of mind. I really think I ought to just sign up so I can stop obsessing about it, don't you?

Old-stick-in-the-mud me: Nice try. But come on...think about how overwhelmed we've been lately. Crying over everything we can't done. Feeling like jerks because our friends are relegated to "free, fun time." Problem being that we are sorely lacking in that particular category of time. And now you want to add something else to our plate?!! Grow up, would you?!!

Grab-life-and-go-for-it me: *walks away sulking*


Last evening...

Grab-life-and-go-for-it me: Screw you, Old-stick! I'm going to join whether you like it or not. Who the hell cares if I fail anyway? No one, that's who. This is just for fun. Fun! Remember fun? Oh sorry, I forgot you're allergic. Well tough--this will make me happy, you old crab...so just keep your trap shut and deal.

Old-stick-in-the-mud me: But... *falls silent*


YES!!! The victory goes to Grab-life!!!

 And while it may seem mighty cruel to kick Old-stick while she's down, I'm going for Level 3. I refuse to be intimidated by the idea of failure! (After all, I'm pretty used to it, and it hasn't killed me yet.) Level 3 requires reading 5 books between October 1st (today) and December 19th. (And yes, I'm laughing at myself even as I type this.)

And here is a list of possibles I wrote down after a quick look at the shelves:

*Feed by M.T. Anderson
*Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins
*The House of the Scorpion by Nancy Farmer
*Incarceron by Catherine Fisher
*Hole in the Sky by Pete Hautman
*The Hollow People by Brian Keaney
*Shade's Children by Garth Nix
*How I Live Now by Meg Rosoff
*After by Francine Prose
*The Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan
*The Bar Code Tattoo by Suzanne Weyn
*The City of Ember by Jeanne DuPrau
*Uglies by Scott Westerfeld

And now I better hurry up and hit "publish" before Old-Stick wakes up...

7 comments:

  1. Have fun! This was the very first challenge I failed...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! Well, I don't want to join a challenge, but I am enjoying your list. Here's a YA book you might like: "A Wind in Montana,"by Mitch Davies. He spins a tale of life for kids in high school, including taking responsibility, having a sense of balance (schoolwork, socializing, fun) and ... just what life is like.

    ReplyDelete
  3. *Gives grab-life-and-go-for-it-you the thumbs up* & *stick-in-the-mud-you a hard-behave-yourself stare*

    Welcome to the challenge Debi, I just know you'll have a blast with those books on in your book pool!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG Debi. That. Was. Hilarious! And what to kick the ever-livin-stuffin outta that old stick in the mud! You have some great books in that pile. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Huzzah to Grabby! "Now,now" pats on the head of Old-Stick.... ENJOY!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amanda,
    If you didn't finish this challenge, I'm sure it was only because you weren't in the mood for it--and that is a perfectly acceptable reason if you ask me!

    Liz,
    Thanks for the recommendation.

    Darren,
    Thanks! I honestly can't tell you how much I'm looking forward to it! :D

    Heather,
    I think it's more sad than funny--because it's the dang truth! :P

    Care,
    Thanks. And don't worry, Old Stick is doing just fine--she's finding other areas to have her say...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooooh--some good ones on your list! Glad Old Stick lost and we could see what you've got in store. I really need to read Catching Fire--maybe this weekend for the readathon? Seems there were some other YA distopian books on my list but the titles escape me right now.

    ReplyDelete