Monday, October 4, 2010

and a new round begins...

As if I needed further proof of my inability to keep things organized, I just realized this morning that the last round of The Blame Game came to an end a few days back. And for the first time in the 2 1/2 years I've been doing The Blame Game, Ana didn't win. And how sad is it that she *made* me buy 20 frickin' books, and that wasn't enough to pull off the win?!! Yes, because Chris was even more evil--he *forced* me to buy 22 books!!! Anyway, Chris, I shall be in touch with you about your punishment soon. ;)

And now I shall start a new round of shirking responsibility. :D  The name taking starts now runs through the end of January 2011. (Yikes!!! How can 2011 even being entering into things yet?!!)
















*Cosmicomics by Italo Calvino. This is one of those books that I neither have to accept responsibility for myself nor do I have to put the blame on someone else. This is simply a book I need to pick up for Annie's lit class. And I must admit, it scares the crap out of me.

*Uncle Montague's Tales of Terror by Chris Priestley. Carl actually just escaped by the skin of his teeth getting three points for these Priestley books. I had all three in the cart, but mustered up a great deal of restraint at the last minute and just bought the first one. You've no idea how tempted I am to set aside the book the boys and I are currently reading, and start this one instead (but I won't). POINT FOR CARL.

*The Vanishing of Katharina Linden by Helen Grant. This book might just have my favorite cover of the year. But it wasn't the cover that ultimately made me pick this one up from the library...it was Carl's review that simply made it sound irresistible! POINT FOR CARL.

*The Hunter's Moon by O.R. Melling. The story of how this one came into my possession is a bit convoluted--suffice it to say that my daughter is a sweetheart and the ultimate blame goes to Heather.  Yep, I can see this one on next year's Once Upon a Time list already. :)  POINT FOR HEATHER.

*Koko Be Good by Jen Wang. Crap. I can't figure out a way to blame anyone else for this one. I guess I could sort of blame Rich, but that's sort of counter-productive. I came across this graphic novel in the bookstore one day. Sad thing is, while I remember sitting down and starting to read it, I don't have a freakin' clue what's it's about. But I liked it enough to add it to the wish list. Anyway, Rich ended up ordering it used for me. Pretty sure it was one of those times when he really wanted to order himself a book, and figured if he bought me one along with it, he wouldn't have to feel so guilty. ;)

*My Mother She Killed Me, My Father He Ate Me edited by Kate Bernheimer. Undeniably Ana's fault. Seriously, what the hell did she expect when she went posting this on her tumblr?!! It was preordered on the spot! POINT FOR ANA.

*Empires of the Indus: The Story of a River by Alice Albinia. Another one I'm deflecting responsibility for by claiming school use. Just one of those serendipitous finds. I'd never heard of this book until I saw it in the bookstore yesterday. But it just so happens that Annie and I are about to start on the ancient civilizations of the Indian subcontinent...and this book sounded like it would be a really nice addition. From the sounds of it, it's part history/part travelogue. I read the introduction in the store and was immediately taken with her respectful attitude towards both the river itself and towards the people who live in the river valley now and who lived there over the past many, many hundreds of years. Anyway, I'm really looking forward to this book, though I've no earthly idea how I'm going to fit it in.

And thus begins another round...

4 comments:

  1. tsk tsk.. it seems like my son needs a good spanking! lol... that's a good blame game you have already! (hope you enjoy each and every on though)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wait, let me check my math. 20+22=42. Right? Oh Ms. Debi. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wait! I beat Ana?!?! This cannot be! And hooray!!! You have Uncle Montague's Tales of Terror :D It's so good Debi!!!! And My Mother She Killed Me :D Ana's getting a big fat point from me for that one too! I really need to start dipping into that one....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was thrilled to be listed. (I was wasn't i? oh well....)

    :)

    ReplyDelete